Have you heard of the name Dr. Stephen Hawkings? He is a popular scientist and is referred as the Einstein of the 20th century. Such an intelligent and gifted individual, is he not? You may feel that he is fortunate to be so blessed, but he is not. He has a muscular dystrophy.
Muscular dystrophy (MD) is a genetic disorder in which the muscle is weakened. Due to this, the individual with MD has issues in movement and could even not be capable to move at all with no help. The muscle weakening is due to the incorrect or lack of facts in the genes of the impacted individual. And for the reason that it is genetic, it is not communicable, but rather transferred to the offspring from a single generation to the other. Men and women with MD could create the symptoms as a youngster, as a teen or even in their late adulthood.
There are many big types of muscular dystrophy and they have various symptoms. They are as follows:
· Duchene Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) – this is the most typical type of muscular dystrophy and commonly impacts boys. The trouble with DMD is that the gene lack dystrophin. Dystrophin is a protein that assists the muscle keeps their strength and type. Devoid of this, the muscle becomes weak and then ultimately breaks down. The symptoms commonly create amongst the age of two and six. When they attain their teens, they will most most likely be in wheelchair. The heart muscle tissues also commence to weaken. Scoliosis could also create. When the muscle tissues utilised for breathing becomes impacted, the impacted individual may need to have the help of ventilator for breathing. Men and women impacted with DMD never commonly attain their late teens.
· Becker Muscular Dystrophy (BMD) – BMD also impacts boys. The illness is also extremely related with DMD. The distinction is that the symptoms, like muscle weakening and breakdown, commonly seem in the teen years or even in the adult years. Men and women with BMD also endure troubles with the heart, bone, joints and breathing. The life expectancy depends on the time of onset of the symptoms and the severity of the breathing and heart troubles.
· Emery-Dreifus Muscular Dystrophy (EDMD) – This type of MD largely impacts boys also. The symptoms seem in the late childhood and even as late as 25. The muscle tissues involved are the muscle tissues in the shoulders, upper arms, and shins, and it also causes joint troubles and even heart troubles.
· Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy (LGMD) – This kind of MD impacts each girls and boys. Onset of symptoms begins as early as childhood and as late as mid-adulthood. The muscle tissues impacted are the muscle tissues in the upper arms and shoulders and muscle tissues about the hip and legs. Wheelchair could be necessary as the illness progress.
· Fascioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSHD) – each girls and boys are impacted with this kind of MD. The onset also varies. Perhaps as early as the teen years or as late as adult years. Muscle tissues impacted are the muscle tissues in the face, shoulders and even legs. Men and women with this kind of MD commonly have a really hard time whistling, raising their arms, and tightly closing their eyes. Effects of this sort of MD differ. Some are mild, other folks serious.
· Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy (MMD) – this type of MD impacts the relaxation of muscle tissues. Men and women with MMD have a really hard time relaxing their muscle tissues and benefits to wasting of muscle tissues, cataracts and heart troubles.
· Congenital Muscular Dystrophy (CMD) – This term is coined for all the MD forms that are currently present at a young age. They could not be diagnosed promptly. Each boys and girls are impacted and symptoms are weakness of muscle tissues and lack or poor muscle tone. CMD can also outcome to retardation and/or understanding disabilities.
Muscular dystrophy has no remedy but physicians are obtaining techniques. Diagnosis is by way of physical exam. Physicians also ask queries as to the symptoms you are experiencing. A thorough household history is also critical. Muscle biopsy can also be performed for suspected sufferers. A genetic exam could reveal if you have DMD.