Most of us have heard the term Manic Depression in our lives. Now, it is known as Bipolar Disorder. But what is it truly, and what is it like to reside with it?
Bipolar Disorder is a mental illness. It is a chemical disorder in the brain which causes extreme mood swings in varying degrees from extreme depression to wild mania. Presently, it is believed to impact around two million people today in the United States, but that figure possibly is way off as people today continue to go undiagnosed for a selection of factors.
Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder:
- Feeling sad, anxious, or possessing an “empty” mood
- Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that had been after enjoyed, such as sex
- Decreased power, fatigue, becoming “slowed down”, feeling exhausted or drained
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, producing choices
- Insomnia, waking up earlier than standard, or oversleeping
- Appetite and/or weight loss or overeating and weight get
- Thoughts of death or suicide suicide attempts
- Restlessness, irritability
- Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to remedy, such as headaches, digestive issues, and chronic discomfort
- Abnormal or excessive elation, feeling as if one particular is on prime of the globe: invincible
- Uncommon irritability
- Decreased will need for sleep
- Grandiose notions
- Improved speaking
- Racing thoughts
- Improved sexual wish
- Markedly elevated power
- Poor judgement
- Inappropriate social behavior
Living with Bipolar Disorder can be pretty tough. Please note that I do not speak for just about every single individual living with BP when I describe what some lives are like. Some people today handle to reside pretty standard, productive lives.
In a depression phase, it is almost not possible to get out of bed, or even wake up at all. If we do make it out of bed, we commonly uncover ourselves on the couch, not capable to do something productive till we start to cycle up into a manic phase. Our homes grow to be messy, we are not capable to concentrate on something, we really feel like we do not care about something, we typically will not shower for days or weeks, we do not go anyplace. We drop our jobs, our properties, our mates, and from time to time our households. We are chronically suicidal and we do threaten and try suicide on a normal basis. It is pretty much like possessing a chronic flu the depression keeps us that down.
When we're manic, that can bring an completely various set of difficulties. Though in a manic phase we can be incredibly productive, we also are impulsive, reckless, irresponsible and hazardous. We drink as well significantly, drive as well quickly and as well recklessly, do drugs, gamble excessively and to the point exactly where we drop every little thing. We are impulsive and from time to time can not make the right choices. For some of us, anger comes with each phases and we are incredibly hazardous.
It is not possible for people today to inform us to 'snap out of it' or 'get more than it' or some such equivalent 'advice' for the reason that that merely does not perform. Bipolar Disorder is an illness, just like cancer, just like any other illness, and it have to be treated and accepted as any other illness. Mental illness is not anyone's fault, it merely is and it is tough adequate merely living with any mental illness without having the added judgement and stigma society adds on.